Word Camp is over with for 2007 but during the conference, one of the talking points of discussion revolved around SEO. Some of the tips that were highlighted during this meeting include:
Don’t put blog at root of domain
- What if you want something besides a blog?
- People link to a main pageand a main blog page so you get extra links
Name Directory Blog (not wordpress)
- Case you change
- If you upgrade.
various keyword tools: AdWords, Overture/Yahoo
Use a variant of the word in post slug verses title.
use categories that are good keywords
- dashes are best
- next best is underscores
- no spaces are worst
- Keep it simple, and search engines will like it.
- Don’t change your site, its not worth the hassle.
- Use alt tags on your images, 3-4 relevant words
- Don’t forget image search and video search.
- Full sentence verses a few words? the scoring algorithms don’t mind unless it actually notices the spam.
- Question marks or Hashmarks? They get truncated.
Check out all of the other great tips that were covered at the conference by visiting the WordCamp Info Blog.
Thanks to the InstaBloke for this service. It’s called Website Grader. Website Grader uses an algorithm to calculate a final score for a particular domain to determine not only it’s SEO optimization but how marketable the website is.
Because the domain jeffro2pt0.com is less than one month old and I have yet to perform the SEO work that will be involved in getting my domain listed higher in the search engines, I have failed the test by receiving 35% or 35/100 for my overall score. This is understandable considering the situation, and I hope that by the end of this month, I can improve this score from 35% to at least 45% which of course is going to require a good bit of work.
To check out why my score is so low click on the following link Report For Jeffro2pt0.com I encourage you to perform a Website Grader check on your own domain and post your score within the comments area. If your feeling good about your score, post a link to your report.
*UPDATE* After performing a few techniques today, I managed to increase my score from 35% to 54% which accomplishes my goal for the month of June. That was fast!